This took place the week I was diagnosed with the gallstones and the day before the move and Chloe being diagnosed with RSV. I had not slept for a long time, and since Chloe had become sick, I REALLY hadn't slept. I was also having to stick to a strict diet because of my gallstones. I discovered eating healthy takes more time, and since that is what I was lacking, I just wasn't eating. So, my great friend, Amber, decided to research what I could eat. She also happens to be a great cook and has a talent for being able to whip up anything healthy and make it taste delicious. Anyhow, she made me lots of delicious soup and roasted beets. Side note, over the next couple of weeks she made me an assortment of different kinds of soup that I literally lived on.
So, of course, when she brought over the soup and beets the night before the move, I devoured it all. I ate a lot of beets, just remember that.
Well, that night Chloe was not sleeping at all. Ryan went to bed around midnight after trying to finish packing boxes and I wanted him to get good rest since we were moving in the morning. There was not much in our house that was not boxed up but we did still have our mattress. So, Chloe and I just hung out all night. I laid her on my chest so she was upright, and she would occasionally dose off.
Around 4 in the morning I had to use the restroom. WARNING! The story may get a little too personal, but nothing that we all don't experience. So I do have to share that I did have a bowel movement. Gross, I know.
AHHHH! Chloe was sick, we were moving, I needed surgery, and now THIS. I stood up to flush and noticed that I had, what I thought to be, an immense amount of blood in my stool. Holy Cow! It seemed to be so much blood that I thought for sure I only had hours to live. I couldn't possibly be loosing this much blood and not have something seriously wrong with me. So what to do. It is 4 in the morning. I don't want to wake Ryan, I didn't want to call anyone so early. Instead, I just went back to my bed and cried. I was overly tired anyways. Ok, I got myself back together and thought, I am a little delirious. Maybe I didn't really see anything. So, I had too use the restroom again (sorry, too much info). It happened again and it was full of red blood, or what looked like it. All of the water was dark red. OH MY GOSH, that is it. My mom had colon cancer when she was in her forties and so why had I not gotten a colonoscopy! Now it was too late! I started feeling light headed (realized later it was all in my head). I just had to wait and watch the clock until I felt it was late enough to call someone. I was still trying to keep it from Ryan because I knew he had enough to worry about.
Finally, 7 am rolled around. I called my friend Liz, another angel in disguise. Side note: Liz, Amber, and I would walk to school together every day. I was the furthest away, so I would get Liz, then we would walk and get Amber. Anyhow, Liz could tell immediately that something was wrong. I told her what had happened. With urgency in her voice, she told me she would walk down to get Amber and ask Tom, Amber's husband who is doing his medical fellowship, what could be causing so much blood in my stool. I was a mess. I couldn't go to the doctors! I needed to take Chloe to the doctor and we were trying to move. But, I was afraid I would end up in the hospital with how much blood I was loosing.
Liz ran with the kids to Amber's house. Tom was there. She immediately started spitting out the story. I am sure Tom thought I was just one big walking medical mess because I had already called him about my gallstones, kidney stone, and Chloe. As Liz was telling Tom the details, Amber was in the house and overheard what was happening. She immediately started thinking, "Oh no", and began saying out loud, "it's the beets!!! it's the beets!!!" Liz was confused and Amber frantically grabbed the phone to call me.
**Picture of Tom and Amber and their cute baby!
She couldn't get me on phone because I was driving Maddie to school for her last day at Esperanza. Amber jumped in her car and started driving through the neighborhood. She pulled up right in front of me. Jumped out of her car and ran to me yelling, "it's the beets, it's the beets"! I had swollen eyes from lack of sleep and crying and all I could do was cry as soon as I saw her. So, she started crying also and said, "I am so sorry, it's the beets!" I was confused, and for some reason, we were both crying. Then she explained how beets will turn your stool and urine red, and it could look like you are bleeding. I had consumed so many beets that it looked as if it was an enormous amount of blood. We both started laughing hysterically through our tears and I said, "this is the best thing that could have happened to me. Amber was like, "what are you talking about?" You see I was set to have the worst day; no sleep, sick baby, moving, gallstones, etc... But then, all of a sudden, knowing that I wasn't bleeding to death gave me a huge burst of energy. I could handle anything now. It was wonderful! Amber to this day, thinks she is an awful friend for having me go through those few hours of agony, but I reassure her that the boost it gave me from finding out it was just beets was well worth it!
Ryan enjoyed hearing the story after the fact:)
7 comments:
That story is hilarious. I actually had tears in my eyes through the laughter though. You have gone through a rough few months! Here's to hoping things slow down for you!
My Office mates and I laughed so hard we cried too! And yes, I tell everyone when I hear a story like this, hope you don't mind!
You are hilarious! Excellent blog, Jen! You are a natural story teller. Ugh. Just reading it brought the whole thing back in full clarity. You are amazing!! Way to hang in there.
What a great story and lesson for life -- sometimes things are NOT as they first appear. Make no judgement until after an investigation!(Hard to do when you're running on sleep fumes.)
Lov ya.
I peed my pants laughing so hard at your story-talk about too much info. I can totally see you telling this story - we miss you guys!
Oh my gosh, Jen I am laughing right now so hard I'm crying! Thanks for the enlightenment today (even though it WAS sad) I just pictured the whole thing (well minus the "bowel movement") Amber running around "its the beets" oh my gosh - the best story yet. We miss you guys, thanks for the story.
Hi Ryan,Jen and kids. We just wanted to say, thank you for you hospitality, recipes and for taking us skating and the Cheese Cake Factory. It was lots of fun. We can't wait to see you guys again in June. We miss you all but, I spesially miss Michael and Chloe. Can,t wait to have them over for the night when you guys are here. Miss you and love you all, Thanks again for all. Ray and Paul xoxo...
Post a Comment